“She’s lost her best friend, her husband–and possibly, her mind.“
*Thank you NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for this book in exchange for an honest review.
**This review may contain spoilers.
Rating: 7/10 (3/5 on Goodreads)
Genre: Fiction, Thriller/Suspense
This book is a wild ride! Although one part was predictable for me, the big twist was bonkers! It’s told in the first person with viewpoints from three characters: Diana, her best friend Val, and Cole. We start with Diana, who five months out from a car accident, is suffering from anesthesia-induced amnesia and is trying to figure out just what happened the night of the accident. We soon find out that Diana’s best friend is sleeping with her husband, Jonathan, and seems to have cut Diana out of her life because of it. Through a series of past and present narratives, the full story behind the accident, the reason for the rift between Val and Diana’s friendship, and this mysterious stranger, Cole, unfolds. On top of that Jonathan and his mother also seem to be sketchy. In this story, everyone is hiding something and the ending is intense and very fucked up. A fun and quick read.
- This book certainly grips you and makes you question everything.
- I am rarely shocked by a book and even figured out most of the ending. However, I did not figure out the big reveal at the end. It had me exclaiming out loud.
- The big reveal is almost too insane to believe and some of the ending doesn’t really fit logically to me.
- I don’t feel that it was necessary for the book to have Cole’s perspective. It was almost distracting, but I do guess it was to add another element of confusion or mystery. I will add that this ‘con’ might be influenced by the fact that I’m not a huge fan of books in first person narrative.
- Published by Crooked Lane Books
- Published on November 10, 2020
- 310 pages (but I did the audiobook)
- Author’s website: http://www.minahardy.com/, Mina Hardy is also known as Megan Hart
- Buy the book on BookShop!