Genre: Thriller, Suspense
In a small town outside of Dallas is a group of women who call themselves, The Hunting Wives. The newest member is Sophie. Right of the bat, this novel gives off ‘new girl wanting to fit in the popular girl group’ vibes, but we aren’t in high school– there is booze, guns, drugs, and infidelity involved and the stakes are high.
I was so stressed reading this novel, but like Sophie, I was so drawn to and compelled by Margot. Think of Margot as the queen bee. However, with Sophie, her intrigue grows into something so much deeper and stronger. As Sophie gets closer to these women, she learns how to shoot a shotgun and she learns she’s not the only one in the group who is obsessed with Margot.
After the body of a teenage girl who was dating one of The Hunting Wives’ sons is found dead in the exact spot where they shoot skeet, the story seriously spirals and I couldn’t help but want to shake Sophie and ask her to just stop, think for a second, and get out! For me, personally, I was able to piece the clues together and figure out the responsible parties, but I had a fun time getting to the end.
This is a fast-paced and engaging read. Fans of thriller and suspense will love it.
- I think the reason I read this so quickly was that it reminded me of some of the books I read as a pre-teen and teen such as The Clique series or Gossip Girl, but for adults.
- I enjoyed the descriptions of the drinks and fashion, it’s a guilty pleasure of mine and I love when it’s in thrillers!
- When we are in Sophie’s mind she seems intelligent and stable, but her actions contradicted that. I think the point was to highlight the effect Margot had over her, but Sophie’s behavior seemed uncharacteristic or even unbelievable at times. I guess she really just had her blinders on when it came to Margot, but I desperately wanted her to focus on her husband and son!
- The mixture of alcohol and guns had be stressed!!!
- Published by: Berkley
- Publish date: May 18th 2021
- Number of pages: 368 pages
- Author’s website: https://www.maycobb.com/
- Support local! Buy the book on BookShop!