- Genre: Romance, Fiction
- Published by: Berkley Books
- Publish date: July 13th, 2021
- Number of pages: 336 pages
- Author’s website: https://www.jasmineguillory.com/
- Support local! Buy the book on BookShop!
Two people realize that it’s no longer an act when they veer off-script in this sizzling romantic comedy by New York Times bestselling author Jasmine Guillory.
Ben Stephens has never bothered with serious relationships. He has plenty of casual dates to keep him busy, family drama he’s trying to ignore and his advertising job to focus on. When Ben lands a huge ad campaign featuring movie star Anna Gardiner, however, it’s hard to keep it purely professional. Anna is not just gorgeous and sexy, she’s also down to earth and considerate, and he can’t help flirting a little…
Anna Gardiner is on a mission: to make herself a household name, and this ad campaign will be a great distraction while she waits to hear if she’s booked her next movie. However, she didn’t expect Ben Stephens to be her biggest distraction. She knows mixing business with pleasure never works out, but why not indulge in a harmless flirtation?
But their lighthearted banter takes a turn for the serious when Ben helps Anna in a family emergency, and they reveal truths about themselves to each other, truths they’ve barely shared with those closest to them.
When the opportunity comes to turn their real-life fling into something more for the Hollywood spotlight, will Ben be content to play the background role in Anna’s life and leave when the cameras stop rolling? Or could he be the leading man she needs to craft their own Hollywood ending?
Rating: 3.5/5 stars (rounded up to 4 on Goodreads)
Jasmine Guillory is back or it may be more appropriate to say, “we are back in the world of Jasmine Guillory!” I love this series. Not only has it provided me with diverse relationships and characters, they are also light, easy-to-read, sexy, and romantic.
Ben works for an Ad agency and lands a big spot running the ad campaign featuring the beautiful actress, Anna. The characters develop an immediate rapport that quickly develops into more. As they learn more about each other and open up more and more, both have to decide what they truly want and what matters to them most.
The novel follows in the same vein as Guillory’s other stories. This time we get to see Theo’s brother, Ben, in a romantic kerfuffle. We also get a few ‘hellos’ from past characters– Theo, of course, and his girlfriend Maddie. The brotherly humor is one of my favorite parts. Nik and Carlos also make a guest appearance. That being said, I do think this book could be read as a standalone. In fact, this book felt so redundant to other books in this series that I almost wanted to read this book fresh.
Overall, I will continue to read this series as long as they keep coming out. This one just wasn’t my favorite.
- There is an open dialogue on mental illness with a main character who has anxiety and main characters who go to therapy
- I liked that both love interests had their own issues to sort through and sub-plots that didn’t necessarily involve the other. Made of a more interesting and dynamic story.
- Jasmine Guillory’s characters are starting to sound so alike in their thought processes and their conflict resolution. I know they are brothers, but Ben and Theo’s inner thoughts sounded like the same person to me, but when we first met Ben in The Wedding Party he seemed different. I guess that’s the point of getting to know a character better, but I don’t know.
Have you read this book? What are your thoughts? I’d love to know!